Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

5 on Friday - St Patrick's Day Edition

 It is almost here!!  St Patrick's Day!  Now I am not 100% Irish nor am I even 50% but I do have at least a little bit of Irish so I am going to take advantage of celebrating this awesome holiday!  Don't get me wrong, I don't think you have to have any Irish blood to be able to celebrate and enjoy St. Patrick's Day!  What's not to love?  It is usually a beautiful Spring day (especially enjoyable after the yucky Winter we had) and there is green beer!  :)
 
Linking up again with the sweet ladies at The Good LifeA. Liz Adventures.  Hello! Happiness. Carolina Charm for 5 on Friday!
So I am kind of in love with making printables as part of my new attempt at decorating for more holidays than just the 'big 3'.  (Halloween, Thanksgiving/Fall, and Christmas)
They are such a cute way to add some color and brightness to any space.  Not to mention, they are easy to change out with each season or holiday.  And storage of these babies?  Yeah, pretty simple too.  Both images are jpg files that I printed as 8x10 photos.  My Sam's Club was by far the cheapest (less that $1.50 for an 8x10) and the quality is great. 
I was hoping that I would be able to make these available for you all to download but I can't figure it out.  I did a few web searches and it sounds like blogger may not have an option that allows files to be shared/downloaded from their websites?!  Is that true?  Anyone have any ideas?
In the meantime, if you would like a copy of the printable just send me an email @ mysliceoflifeblog@gmail.com and let me know which one (or both) you would like.  I am happy to pass it on so you can enjoy a little St Patrick's day cheer in your home!

Irish Blessing

St Patrick's Day Subway Art
 
There will be no corn beef and cabbage here but we will be having some yummy green food to celebrate.  I am planning to start the day with cinnamon rolls with green icing.  You may recall I made pink cinnamon rolls for Valentine's Day and they were a disaster.   The recipe got great reviews so I know it was an error on my part but I am going the tried and trued (you know, the kind you buy and bake!) this time around.  I am hoping it will be easy enough to add a little green food coloring to the icing for the festive touch! 
Also, in preparation we made brownies with some green chocolate chips that I had leftover from Christmas.  The other half has peanut butter chips since that is Matt's favorite.  :)
Natalie showing off our yummy brownies pre-baking.
I would show you the baked brownies but I prefer my brownies a little under cooked and they look like a hot mess when I try and get them out of the pan!  Oops :)

What would St Patrick's Day be without some rainbow arts & crafts?!
Natalie's Pot of Gold
She did a great job finger painting the rainbow!

When Parents as Teachers did Natalie's 3 year old evaluation they commented on her (lack of) scissor skills.   She knew how to hold them and use them but her little fingers were not strong enough to open the scissors back up on their own after cutting.  So we have been working on different cutting crafts.  Today it was a rainbow!  She has improved so much and I love the end results.  :)
 
Her beautiful rainbow!
 
I don't have a ton of décor yet since this is the first year I have decorated for St Patrick's Day but I do have a couple fabric banners, my printable art and of course M&M's in my mini apothecary jars!

Here is my mantle.  It does the job now and I really love the color the fabric banner adds but I will definitely be on the lookout for more green for next year.  The fabric is from Hobby Lobby.  It was one of the little fabric bundles they offer.  I just cut it up in strips and tied it to twine to hang.
 
As a side note, I am IN LOVE with the mini apothecary jars I found this week.  They were so reasonable - $15 for a set of 3 from Ross!  I am so excited that they are so versatile and I will be able to use them all year round with fun little things each holiday.

This is the window area above my kitchen sink.  I decided it was the best place to add more holiday decorations since I spend way more time in my kitchen than my formal dining room.  The green chevron frame is from Hobby Lobby.  The other frame was a dollar store find.  Don't judge! ;) 
Finally, my festive wreath.  This DIY wreath has been so great and has already donned quite a few varying accompaniments.  The 'base' if you will, is the white deco mesh wreath.  It is super simple to add extra color or items to the base to make it special for a holiday or event.  I bought the wire wreath frame and deco mesh from Hobby Lobby.  With coupons, the total was under $10 to make this bad boy!  Not to mention it was super simple.  My kind of craft!  I just made it in November and have already gotten tons of use out of it.  I have plans for it for Easter and Memorial Day already.  :)
Oh and, the shamrock is from the dollar store.  How great is that?!  I was just there the other day and found a super cute Easter egg that will be taking the shamrock's place next week.  So pumped to have a cute wreath for so cheap!
 
The top left was for my sister-in-law's baby shower in January.  The top right was for my other sister-in-law's shower in November.  The bottom right was from Christmas.  I could have sworn I took a picture but unfortunately I couldn't find it but I did find it in the background of another pic.  You get the point though.  :)  Finally the St Patrick's version.  Since I already had pink on the wreath in January, I just changed out the baby rattle/blanket for a mini heart balloon for Valentine's Day.  No picture there though....bummer.
 
 
This has absolutely nothing to do with St Patrick's Day but I will have a new niece sometime today!  My sister-in-law is going in to be induced this morning and we are praying for a quick and easy labor.  I can't wait to snuggle Caroline Grace very soon!
How lucky are we to be blessed with two sweet little girls in our family in less than 3 weeks?!  :)
 
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment